Monday, October 29, 2007

Incontinence

Dogs with CDRM can become incontinent but luckily Max has never left any puddles in the house. However, he has become increasingly bowel incontinent which makes me wary of taking him to other people's houses.
It only happens first thing in the morning after I've let him out in the garden to go to the toilet. A few times he went after I had shut the back door and I thought he just didn't realise that he hadn't finished. Even though I now leave the back door open I still find that he goes in the kitchen so he obviously doesn't know that he needs to go. I have to now make sure I shut him out in the garden so that he does not come back in the house until he has been.
If you have a dog with CDRM I would be interested to know if this is something you have found too as I have only read about urinary incontinence.

3 comments:

Julie Ransom said...

Yes we have the same problem with our German shepherd who has cdrm. It only happens after she's been outside as if she's sent the message that she needs to go but it takes it's time to get to the relevant parts. We manage ok by sticking to a routine and taking her outside at the same times. And if she hasn't gone we follow her around plastic bag at the ready! something that seems to help is lifting up and supporting her tail when outside. It seems to help her decide to go or it could be that because of her lack of mobility she finds it uncomfortable to crouch to go so the extra support makes it easier and more comfortable.

Martha said...

Hi Julie

Thanks for your message. I was starting to think that maybe it was connected to something else. I'll try lifting up his tail to see if that helps.

Thanks
Karen

Martha said...

The tail thing worked this morning! Thanks so much for the advice. I hope your girl is doing ok...

Karen